Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Call: 604.255.4616

  • Or complete the form for a callback
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Call: 604.255.4616

  • Or complete the form for a callback
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Call: 604.255.4616

Step 1 of 2

I agree(Required)

When life takes you off the grid, ride with abandon! Specialty vehicles need special insurance coverage. Let us help you interpret the rules.

What is a specialty vehicle?

Under ICBC rules there are special requirements for insurance for all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, dune buggies and other off-road vehicles (ORV). An owner will need basic insurance if you operate an ORV on a highway. A person must be 16 years old to operate a vehicle with this coverage. You may need liability coverage for your off-road vehicle, or want protection in case it’s stolen or in a crash.

Off-road vehicles

If you operate an ORV on or across highways, you’re required to obtain ICBC’s Basic Insurance. If you operate an ORV on forest service roads, you’ll need $200,000 in third party liability insurance. This may be obtained from ICBC or other insurers.

On all other Crown lands, liability insurance is voluntary but recommended.

ORV registration with number plate display is mandatory on Crown land, including resource roads. An off-road vehicle is designed for off-highway use and does not meet safety standards for on-highway use. In the event that you want to operate your off-road vehicle on a highway, you will need to register, get a plate, a licence and insurance.

Types of off-road vehicles

The following are the eligible ORV vehicle types:

  • Golf carts
  • Snow vehicles
  • Snowmobiles
  • All-terrain vehicles (ATV)
  • Trucksters
  • Restricted use motorcycles (RUMs)
  • U-bilt vehicles and trailers
  • Farm trucks

For more information on the requirements for registering, displaying a number plate, licensing and insuring an ORV, visit us or call one of our auto insurance advisors at 604.255.4616.

Questions? We’re here to help.

Visit us Today

We're a hot rod car club in the Lower Mainland and have been using Reliance for all our coverage needs. From hosting car shows to swap meets, Reliance has helped ensure we are covered and protected in case something happens. We highly recommend this office.

— Rob Petty


October 5, 2020
Tips for driving electric cars in winter

Tesla and other electric cars are popular in Canada The fall season has hit us with heavy rains and soon to be snow falls. The […]

November 25, 2019
Ride hailing insurance risks – passengers & drivers

Ride hailing insurance risks. Over the past few years, Lyft and Uber, popular ride-hailing companies, has expanded its operations into a handful of Canadian cities. […]

April 25, 2019
World class custom car designer from Abbotsford, BC

World class custom car designer Rod Nielson was introduced to cars at a young age, following his Dad around building North American muscle cars in […]