Protection beyond insurance is what we specialize in.
Product liability is a necessity
As a business owner, you’re responsible for every product you import, manufacture, distribute or sell. For retailers, wholesalers, manufacturers, and distributors, product liability lawsuits can be expensive, stressful and time-consuming. Product liability is a necessity for businesses involved throughout the commerce chain. It forms part of your commercial general liability insurance coverage.
Protection against legal liability
Product liability insurance protects your business against legal liability for claims for bodily injury or property damage arising out of those products. It’s designed to help protect your business by ensuring that you don’t have to pay legal, court costs or compensatory damages.
- Products can cause bodily injury to the customer
- Products can cause property damage to a third party
- When you start selling a product, your business is at risk for product liability lawsuits
Using our network of insurance providers, we help business owners identify and prevent potential losses from their products. From every day, non-hazardous products, to businesses that manufacture potentially hazardous products, we can tailor a package to suit your needs.
Product liability risk management
A risk management plan that considers product safety and risk benefits over the life of the product can help reduce product liability claims and strengthen businesses’ defense position in the event of litigation.
- Develop a comprehensive quality control, safety, and product recall plan.
- All members of the distribution chain should maintain adequate insurance. Ensure all your suppliers, manufacturers and distributors carry the appropriate insurance and provide you with confirmation by means of a certificate of insurance. Make sure your business is added as an additional insured accordingly.
- You can be directly held responsible for any products you import outside North America. Always verify that imported products comply with industry standards, government regulations and all labels contain the appropriate information.
- Always work with legal counsel that specializes in Product Liability when drawing up contracts and includes all aspects of the lifecycle of the product.
- Solicit customer feedback. This can aid in determining complaints, incidences, service and warranty issues.
- Effective documentation demonstrates to the courts the care you take in operating your business.
Reliance can help you get a full coverage insurance plan at an affordable price.
Engage with the product liability specialists at Reliance Insurance.
We can walk you through the life cycle of your product and help identify incident risks.
You may need:
Business Interruption Insurance
Prevent loss of income if your premises are damaged.
Protect your digital and financial assets against cyber attacks.
Directors & Officers
As a director or officer, protect yourself from being sued.
Safeguard your patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets.
We were involved in a complicated liability claim which could have been very costly if It had not been for the involvement and support of Reliance Insurance Group. They worked diligently and we avoided a potentially very unpleasant situation. They really stepped up to the plate.
— West Creek Farms Ltd.
Cyber security tips for business
Cyber criminals are targeting small business in Canada. High-profile cyber attacks and data breaches at Sony, Honda Canada and Target have raised awareness of the […]
The Hockey Shop: A $1 million insurance payment six days after a fire rocks the industry
September 23, 2017 was a devastating day for the owners of The Hockey Shop after a fire caused by arson destroyed the building and inventory […]
Cyber security experts comment on worldwide ransomware attack
On September 23, 2019, the United Nations and twenty-seven countries have signed a joint agreement on what constitutes fair and foul play in cyberspace. But the […]