What is a home-based business?

A home-based business is one that you run from your home rather than at an off-site place of business such as an office or retail space. In order to qualify, the primary use of your home must still be for residential purposes but its secondary use can be for your home office/business.
Some examples are:
  • Accounting/Bookkeeping
  • Costume Jewellery
  • Baked Goods
  • Consulting
  • Tutoring
  • Freelance Journalist or Writer
  • Graphic Artists/Designers
  • Hairdressers
  • House staging
  • Music lessons
  • Pet sitting/grooming
  • Photography

Insurance coverage for home-based businesses

Reliance has created a special easy to understand and easy to purchase HomeBizProtect™ program. Pick you options for a  tailor made package, so you can buy just what you need for your own unique business. A home owner or renters insurance policy will not cover home-based business liabilities or property, you will need to purchase a separate policy.

What coverage do I need for a home-based business? 

HomeBizProtect™ offers a wide range of coverage options that are flexible and affordable. Only insure what you need. 

  • Commercial General Liability Coverage
  • Home Office Contents Coverage
  • Legal Expense Insurance
  • Cyber security

Buy home-based business insurance online today!

Three easy steps:

  1. Click Quote & Buy and enter your British Columbia postal code.
  2. Answer a few questions related to your home-based business.
  3. Our interactive system gives you prices as you choose the coverage options. You choose how much or little you want to insure. Pay your premium online and your policy will be immediatley delivered to your email address.
To buy a online home-based insurance policy operating in British Columbia you will need:
  • Company structure: sole proprietor, corporation, partnership
  • Approximate annual revenue
  • Equipment and business contents values
  • What type of advice you provide people (if applicable)
  • Data & privacy requirements 
Certain home-based businesses may need additional insurance coverage 
For professions such as accounting and consulting services we recommend having Errors & Omissions Insurance (E&O) which is not included in a Commercial General Liability package such as the HomeBizProtect™. If you belong to a professional association you may already have E&O coverage; but please check to ensure as this type of insurance will protect against a negligence claim made by a client in a civil lawsuit for allegedly giving wrong advice, error in service or providing incorrect data/information to clients.

Also fitness or yoga studios are also subject to additional insurance to cover any class participants. There are speciality insurance products for those businesses running fitness or health related operations. 

If you need advice on how to best protect yourself and your business contact one of the Reliance Insurance Agents.  We help to identify risk and recommend the best type of policy. Not sure what you need, call our experienced personal lines agents 604.255.4616



*There may be circumstances where your insurance requirements require the expertise of a insurance agent. In the event the online system can not complete and issue a home-based business policy, one of our agents will call you within one business day to review your  insurance requirements.


Have a Question?

Contact one of Our Advisors


Have a Question?

Sign Up For Our
Our Corporate Insurance Updates