What is Tenant Insurance?
If you are renting an apartment, condo, townhouse or home you will want to investigate the benefits of tenant insurance. Accidents happen and are often due to the fault of others. Be prepared and protect yourself, your home contents and your family. Don't be out of pocket financially because of a break and enter, accident, flood, fire, slip and fall or other catastrophic events that may occur in the place where you rent.
What does my landlord's insurance cover?
Your landlords insurance policy covers the property - the building - but it does not protect your personal belongings inside the building or for any liability claims against you personally.
Laws in Canada related to legal responsibility on a property
In Canada, you are legally responsible for any damage or harm you may cause to others. A judge can hold you responsible in court and order you to pay these costs out of your own pocket. If you have tenant insurance, the insurer will defend your case in court, cover your legal expenses and pay the court settlement.
Buy an affordable Reliance Insurance tenant insurance policy in three easy steps:
- Click Quote & Buy Now and enter your British Columbia postal code.
- Answer a few questions related to the type of home you rent and decide on they type of coverage you require.
- Our interactive system gives you prices as you choose the coverage options. You choose how much or little you want to insure. Buy your policy online* and your policy will be delivered to your email address immediately.
Key features of tenant insurance include
- If your personal property is stolen or damaged the policy will cover repairs or replacement. You can set the limit on the value you want insured. In multi-story buildings, common damage claims relate to water ingress. This could be due to leaking pipes, water over-flow from sinks, showers, tubs, dishwashers, washing machines or a sprinkler system discharge.
- Third-Party Liability coverage for up to 2 million dollars worldwide for property damage or bodily harm you accidentally cause. Liability insurance protects you against damages or injuries incurred on that property to a person not residing in the home. For example your house cleaner slips on a wet floor and breaks a leg.
- Coverage that pays for unexpected additional living expenses for expenses incurred if you have to leave your home while repairs are being completed. In certain circumstances costs may include hotel bills, restaurant meals, and moving costs. This coverage pays for unexpected expenses when you cannot live in your apartment due to a covered loss.
Optional tenant insurance
British Columbia is known for its rain. Heavy precipitation can contribute to backups in the British Columbia sewer systems. A flood of sewage entering your domicile can be dangerous to your health and be quite costly to repair.
Earthquake coverage for tenants or renters
British Columbia is earthquake country. The province of BC has experienced up to seven recorded seismic active events in single week. We know there is going to be an earthquake at some point in time. And when it happens, you will want to be prepared. For a small additional monthly fee, you can purchase earthquake coverage for loss or damage caused by an earthquake.
If I buy a tenant insurance policy online, who will help me if I have a claim?
You can be assured that the staff at Reliance Insurance is here to help you when you most need it. We have partnered with a leading Canadian insurance company who specializes in Tenant Insurance and has a superb claim service reputation. We are in the business to resolve insurance claims. Reliance even has a dedicated claims advocate to help navigate the claim process when required.
If you have any additional questions please call our personal lines insurance agents at 604-255-4616.
*There may be circumstances where your insurance requirements require the expertise of a insurance agent. In the event the online system can not complete and issue a tenant policy, one of our agents will call you within one business day to review your tenant insurance requirements.