Fall has arrived in BC, and although September and October have had several days of record breaking temperatures – in certain parts of the province – the cooler weather and precipitation common for October and November is just around the corner. Now is the time to prepare and avoid home insurance claims this winter.
If you have not taken the time to do the last few winterize priorities, take advantage of the next few weeks of good weather. Now is a good time to complete the necessary winter maintenance tips to avoid costly home repairs and insurance claims.
As the province of BC starts to head towards colder temperatures and higher levels of precipitation it is important to winterize your home. Reliance Insurance Agencies is a partner with Travellers Insurance have created a very in-depth fall home maintenance check list:
- Have your heating system cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified technician.
- Replace your furnace filter in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Insulate water pipes in areas exposed to freezing temperatures.
- Check gutters for damage and confirm they’re securely attached to the house.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating. This is especially important during the fall season when leaves may collect in gutters.
- Check and repair caulking around doors and windows that show signs of deterioration.
- Have your chimney cleaned and maintained by a professional.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under and behind the dryer. Remove lint and dust that may have accumulated inside the dryer in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Check electrical outlets for loose-fitting plugs or receptacles. Be sure not to overload electrical outlets.
- Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible. Confirm that it is fully charged and ready for operation.
- Inspect your smoke detectors. Make sure you have a smoke detector in each bedroom or sleeping area and also, a smoke detector in the hallway outside each sleeping area. You should also make sure you have at least one smoke detector on each floor of your home, including your basement. Test them monthly, and change the battery annually or as needed.
It is also useful to stay alert to weather safety hazards in your neighbourhood. Blocked drains, snow on sidewalks, weakened and broken trees can also create structural damage to your home and a possible personal liability claim.
- Rake and bag leaves for collection, do not rake leaves into gutters. Blocked storm drains can create sewer backups and basement flooding.
- Clear blocked storm drains on your block or report it to your local city maintenance department.
- Keep sidewalks clear of leaves and snows. These can create a slip and fall hazard for pedestrians.
- If you live close to the ocean on the west coast be prepared for king tides which happen a few times a year.
- Have an emergency preparedness kick specifically for power outages or the event of an earthquake.
Reliance Insurance Agencies is known for their expertise in risk management strategies. If you own a a home in BC, call us today for a free risk assessment and strategy to maximize your insurance coverage for an affordable price. Call us at 604-255-4616 and ask for a personal insurance advisor.